Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AccPac client slow - how do I reinstall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidMWilliams

IS-IT--Management
May 22, 2003
AU
My company has moved to AccPac, and we've just had the consultants in for two days getting the system up-and-running and giving some training. They will be back next month.

However, I'm not happy with the performance of the client. The consultants say we need a bigger server (which of course will always help) but this server was (and still is) running our previous Financials system fine.

I notice that the way they have set up the client PCs is to run off the server via a mapped network drive.

I think that's a pretty poor approach! Does AccPac _have_ to be that way? Surely not! Can I install the client software onto each computer and have it run off the hard disk?

Thanks !

Hi,

The data on the server would have to be mapped to the workstations in order for the data to be used by all users. You can install the Accpac software to the local drive and only bring data to the WS. I am assuming you are usin Accpac for Windows. You can use the product CD to load the programs and tools to local drive and use the existing mapping for shared data.

Regards

e

You're right; we're using AccPac Advantage 5.1 for Windows, with SQL Server as the database.

I've installed the system manager, GL, AR and AP onto client workstations, pointing the shared data to the mapped drive.

This has increased performance immensely !

I'm disappointed the AccPac partners set things up in such a perverse manner.

David M. Williams
National I.T. Manager
Advantage Personnel Pty. Ltd.
AUSTRALIA

David,
They did "workstation setup" which simplifies your administration of ACCPAC. You only have to install service packs, or upgrades once on the server and you're done. Loading the code local increases time for SPs and upgrades since you have to do them on all workstationss.
I've got ACCPAC clients running Enterprise Edition, all modules, MSSQL database, twenty users, code and data all loading from one server, with no complaints about speed.
Is it possible that some of these workstations are communicating with your server at 10 mps, instead of 100?
We had a different client with a 100 mps nic's on workstations and the server but due to a setting on the server nic, workstations were only going at 10 mps.
Complaints about speed stopped as soon as we fixed the problem with the server settings.
Also, is your antivirus software scanning network drives?
This will slow performance, too.

Finally, ACCPAC supports UNC pathing. No need to map a drive. Use UNC pathing to point to "shared data" directory and to each database.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back