Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

account lock out

Status
Not open for further replies.

gin777

Technical User
Sep 27, 2001
US
on a windows nt machine, user gets locked out frequently. 4 to 10 times daily. Not logged onto any other machine. Can be working and gets kicked off network, or log off, must call in to unlock account. switched to a 2000 machine, frequency decreases but still keeps getting locked out.

We went through the troubleshooting paces, the account looks OK, the machine looks OK (although the NT box stayed up longer than the 2K box) Looked in to the possibility of a conflicting credential on the machine. It was set to expire for some reason, but the date was in the future, so I don't see that being the issue. We tested the idea of a login being "hung" on the network, with a net send command that did not resolve. not familiar enough with the network session side of 2K/NT to know how to check for a hanging SID (or something similar) to know if that is the issue. I have watched this account lock out in 20-30 seconds, several, several times in a row.

Any suggestions on what else to look for? Cause?

Have you checked the event logs. (security) are there any services that are failing to start, make sure that the user account that is being locked out is not associated with any failing services.

Hope this helps

Dan

Do you have more than one domain in your environment? If so check for duplicate usernames with different passwordson the different domains. Some programs do not properly handle domain authentication and may "confuse" which domain to login to. With different passwords, you end up getting locked out.

I know this may be a little low-tech, but is it possible that another user is accidentally typing in the wrong login name, then trying the password several times before realizing their mistake? I have had this happen before where usernames were spelled nearly identically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back