Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accidently lost MBR...

Status
Not open for further replies.

McBugzz

Programmer
Sep 17, 2002
JP
Linux has successfully killed my MBR i.e. placed LILO there. I need to restore the MBR, and I don't have any rescue discs or smth. I can boot XP because LILO allows it, but I want XP to restore the MBR as it was before Linux.

Recovery Console seems to be dangerous - says I shouldn't use fixmbr if I can read files. fixboot doesn't help.

Any suggestions?

Thanx

This is definitely a case of "fixmbr".
Boot to the XP CD, and enter the repair console, and use fixmbr. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

hi, i think you have to boot with a simple boot disk with fdisk and in the command line write
"fdisk MBR" or something

bye

ops, sorry, the messange was i wrote upstear was for other question

fixmbr in the recovery console does seem like a solution here, but why was that warning then? I mean, it - the recovery console - said that using it may ruin my partition table and I shouldn't use it if I can read files. Is it really that dangerous?

It will ruin your current partition table. It will eliminate the Linux portion, allowing a boot to windows.
Yes, it can be that destructive if you have any non-dos partitions. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Fixmbr won't actually touch the partition table - just writes a standard windows mbr to boot machine with (so will overwrite any other boot manger, like lilo that lives there - and virus, btw). If you have a linux partition, it will still be intact - but you'd need another way of booting it. The warnings are there because it is overwriting a fundamental part of your PC - the code that loads the operating system.

PS, running fdisk /mbr from A: prompt after booting from a win98 boot floppy will have a similar effect.

> Yes, it can be that destructive if you have any non-dos partitions.

I used fixmbr and it worked just right, but... isn't an ext2 a non-dos partition? It is, and I don't understand then why didn't fixmbr cause problems.

McBugzz - didn't you read my previous post - Fixmbr does NOT update the partition table.

I should have worded my reply better.
It won't destroy the partition table, it just will overwrite the MBR so any non-dos partitions you have will be inaccessable at boot.
Thanks to wolluf for clearing that up. :D Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

i have a similar situation -- i have a (xandros) linux partition that i would like to remove so that i can use the disk space in xp again. is there anything else i need to do besides a) running fixmbr, and b) reformatting the partition back to ntfs?

thanks

Nope, just fixmbr, do whatever you want to the old Linux partition, and then edit boot.ini to remove the Linux boot line (or whatever boot loader you're using). Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back