Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accidently formatted wrong drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 17, 2004
CA
Hopefully someone can help me here. I accidently formatted my secondary HD instead of my primary while in the process of reinstalling Win XP. What a dumbass. Does anyone know of a good software to use that would recover the data which was on there.

Welcome to file recovery hell, my friend.

I had a similar issue (although not as bad as a total reformat) a few months ago with one of the PCs at work. Files which were supposed to be encrypted for security were actually encrypted to death and couldn't be recovered without software.

During that time I went through almost every brand of Recovery Software you can imagine and the only ones that did any lick of good for us was:

1. File Restorer 2000 :
and

2. PC Inspector :
File Restorer 2000 was the first program that actually successfully put some files back together so we could use them again. PC Inspector was free ( a major plus since when it comes to file recovery you'll find that the law of the land is High Cost and Low Results ) and did a thorough scan that saved about 1% of our stuff and let us know for sure that a good 15% was "done".

Depending on your goals here you might want to try the free program first. From talking with friends and associates I believe that we were UNLUCKY in recovering only about 10% of everything we lost, but even if you have success in getting some of your files back, keep in mind that recovery can be an expensive and time-consuming task: compare the amount of effortyou put towards recovery to how much work it would take to just replace those files by hand, dl them again, etc.

After about a week and only 10% recovered I realized that our time had come where had we shifted focus to just rebuilding we'd actually be making much more progress than trying to recover...as painful a realization as it was to have.

In either case, I feel your pain. I wish you the best of luck and hope I've been some help.

did you format or Zero the drive???

if you formated and left the drive in the computer while you are looking for the fix. it may be too late.
I use Winternals set of programs and I am real happy with it.

it's not hard to recover the data. but you may only get a small amount if you left the drive on the computer and let it spin while you are not doing any actual recovery process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back