Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accidently deleted a table

Status
Not open for further replies.

nastar1

Technical User
Nov 1, 2005
US
I accidently deleted the contents of a linked table.

After discovery, I then copied the table contents from a backed up table to the corrupted target table.

Now all of my forms that use fields from the affected table are initially blank. Users are able to click the dropdown and select data from the repaired table and then the form retains the selected data.

I obviously did the wrong process to recover my table. Is there any steps I can take now to refresh those fields on any forms? Also what would the correct steps have been to properly recover a deleted table if a backup is available?
Thanks

Disregard. I simply had a backed up version of the frontend and backends restored and am back in business.

Feel free to educate me a bit on procedures I could have followed to recover from this in the future.

To clarify, what i had done was delete records from one of my linked tables in my backend db. I make weekly backups of the backend and thought I could simply copy the damaged table from one of those backups into the current backend db. Though this worked to a degree, i obviously lost some 'linkage' from the forms in the Frontend to the backend table. I even tried to refresh the links and it did not correct the problem.

Adjust your backup schedule mate, once a week isn't good enough for most opertions.

I normally schedule my backups twice daily, and although it's inconvinient it's better than potentially losinng a weeks worth of data which in some of my instances would require thousands of phones calls, hundreds of man hours re-entering data and a very unproffesional company image!

Sounds like you got off lightly, so thank the gods and learn from the experience! BACKUP LOTS!

JB

Excellent advice on the whole.

don't be too alarmed at my weekly backup schedule.

This is a relatively tiny database and only have about a half dozen or less transactions a week and the total amount of data in those transactions is fairly easy to re-input.

I was more concerned with the logic corruption when a 'names' table was deleted and though I could recover the table, I was initially unable to get the related forms to properly display the lookups.

Are you using an autonumber as the primary key? If so then when you pasted the copies in they would have been assinged new autonumbers and these would not match the foreign key in your related records.

A way around this would have been to compact and repair your database after deleting the records and before pasting the contents. Compact and repair allows access to reset autonumber fields in completely empty tables.

JB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back