Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accidental 911 dialing 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsir4

Technical User
Apr 26, 2007
US
Due to the rash of accidental 911 calls I will be changing the SC from 9 to 8.I just want to make sure there isn't some type of FCC or city regulation where guests coming into the building can call 911 without having to enter 8 first in order to dial out in case of an emergency.If this is the case how do I keep 911 active without having to dial 8 first? Thanks.

Three dial emergency short codes: 911, 9911 and 8911 all dial 911

Dyslexics Untie!

Thanks, I should have done a 911 search on the site first before posting;I found a lot of useful information.However it still seems to me the system needs to be able to dial 911 directly no matter what instead of going to VM or time delays.Changing the SC to 8N is not foolproof but should cut down on the accidental calls. Labeling each phone with X911 notice seems to be a pain in the AXX.

You need your historical sc, new sc and 'forgot trunk accres code they are using this week. He's not breathing I'll try 911' short code.
If this isn't clear get a professional to set this up lest someone should croak.

Dyslexics Untie!

It's hard to programme around human failings, the system only dials what it's told, if people keep dialling 911 then it's not really possible to make a workaround for that without introducing an element of risk :)

Hi guys please let me know if this will work.I am not an IPO expert.
1) In order to change the dial out from 9 to 8, I just need to change the 9N to 8N in the Short Codes.This should eliminate people from dialing 91 then accidentally pressing another 1 when trying to make a long distance call. This seems to be the major cause or 911 mistake calls as I can track the persons who do this using Xima call accounting.
2) In the ARS I will leave the 911 feature as "dial emergency" so someone can actually call 911.
3) In the ARS there is also 11 code and under telephone number it has 911.Is this necessary?

windsir4 said:
3) In the ARS there is also 11 code and under telephone number it has 911.Is this necessary?

You should REMOVE the 11 code, so that 811 doesn't trigger a call to 911

If you remove the 9N and you remove the 11 code in the table, you remove the ability to dial 911 altogether unless you build another 911 shortcode. Have the customer give you a letter in writing that they want you to remove 911, 95% usually say keep it and they address the real problem of a user misdialing. Even SSA logs emergency calls for the systems without XIMA
True story in an East Texas hotel. 911 disabled, only allowed 9911. Little girl's mother being stabbed by father, little girl made several unsuccessful attempts to dial 911, mother died. Google Kari's law, show that to your customer.

wspence is dead on: don't do anything foolish, since any resulting problem may result in criminal negligence.

change 9N system sc to 8N
remove 11 entry from ARS
create addition Sc 911 / dial emergency / 911 / 0

TEST!!!

You should be able to dial 911 or 8+911 to get 911.

GB

Thanks all, I will do the testing over the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back