Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing Word Documents with a Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 18, 2002
US
I work for a small publishing company and we use a lot of Macs, which are NOT my strong suit. I just swapped out a PC for a G-3 for one of my users. She is having difficulty accessing Word attachments she is receiving via email...What do I need to do to get her system to read these documents as something other than gibberish when opened?

Several options. Microsoft Word is for Mac is one way to go. If you are in Publishing you may well have Quark. There's a freebie Xtension for Word that means you can get text from Word into Quark. Its not a massively user friendly way of doing things, but it works.

Pretty much toe the company line on this one...MacLink Plus will convert the .doc file into something readable via AppleWorks, perhaps already living on the G3 you mention.

Microsoft Word for Mac is the other way to go and frankly more advisable if there's any volume of these documents and creating them for others is a priority.

In theory, I suppose you could score a copy of Virtual PC and "emulate" the pc environment. I think Word is native on that install. VPC runns about $200 and Word runs about $400 but you can get the entire Office suite for a C Note more...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back