Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing User Directories

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazzanewpy

Instructor
Oct 21, 2002
GB
I am about to relocate all of our users' work folders due to a poor set-up at the start. I am aware that a large number of the folders are inaccessible by the Administrator and we have to take ownership then assign the owner's rights again. I could take the root folder and give the Administrator and Everyone full control but this is a security issue.

Therefore, can anyone suggest a way that I can add the administrator to all user folders whilst keeping the existing owner's rights intacted? Also,I want to switch off the rights to Execute inside these folders (toomany games being stored), how can I do this globally?

Take the Root Folder and assign Administrator= Full Control, Domain Users: Read Access, Then for each individual subfolder assign the Owner of the folder and the Administrator Full control. Remove "Everyone" from the permissions list. As far as excluding executables, that will not work. They will not be able to open any files in that folder. To keep them from storing games you should assign a storage size policy to say 500 - 1 GB of space. That way if they run out of room, they will have to delete their games.

Use the CACLS utility. This allows you to add/change permissions rather than having to replace permissions. Start at the root and you can add Administrators full control. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back