Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing through putty

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2004
GB
Hi,
i was wondering if anyone could tell me what i need to do to access my linux machine using putty/SSH.

Also i do not wish to use the ip-address while accessing rather a domain name.

our univ. has a server u14.csm.port.ac.uk and we can access it from anywhere using putty/SSH. in short could u tell me how they would've worked this out?

There is nothing to configure. As long as the server is configured for SSH and you have proper dns, you should be able to connect without an issue.

Well i think iam lacking abit in knowing what is proper DNS for linux machine. Could you tell me say how can i make a DNS server of my own. say for example

netlearner.net which is globally recognized and i can access from anywhere.

Thanks.

That doesn't count the fact that some admins/programs might use a different port then 22 (i.e., 222). If there are connection problems using PuTTY then that is one of the first things to check.

J.R.

in the host text box give this following ip
and say port 22 then connect.
but sshd service should be run on this server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back