Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

accessing the serial port (com 1 and com 2) via an ASP page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevstev

Programmer
Dec 26, 2001
US
Hello,
I have kind of a unique problem in that I want to interface a webcam to a webpage, and the webcam's interface is through the serial port. The camera's functions are controlled via com1, and the camera's mount via com2; I am creating an application that will allow you to move the camera and look around our office. To do this, I just need to be able to send a few plain text strings (IE "a10", "b60", "zmt", etc.) down the server's serial ports. Can this be done? should I look for an alternative language? can I embed another type of language in the ASP to do this? (I know you can embed SQL, but how about other types of code?). Any information will be greatly appreciated.
-Kevin Stevens

The easiest thing to do would be to create a DLL with Visual Basic or C++ that will control the camera and send the strings to the com ports. Then include that .DLL in your ASP page just like an activeX control and you can pass it parameters with ASP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back