Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing shared files over network neighbourhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon99

MIS
Feb 17, 1999
US
My problem is as follows. I have folders and files that I would like users from Windows 9x PCs to access via a shortcut on their desktop created using &quot;Network Neighbourhood&quot;. They have all been given a username and password on the host PC (NT4 server). Whenever they click on the shortcut a dialog box pops up with the &quot;IPC$&quot; resource already filled in and requesting a password. As a result they cannot enter a valid username. This problem doesn't arise with NT4 Workstation machines - the dialog asks for a username and password.<br>
<br>
I realise that the &quot;IPC$&quot; is the Interprocess communication pipe, necessary to the operation of the shortcut, but why does it keep popping up on 9x PCs and not NT Workstation PCs. Does anyone know how to get 9x PCs to correctly authenticate to a shared folder on NT4 server via a network neighbourhood shortcut (mapping to a drive is not an option).<br>
<br>
Jon

The Win9x machines need a valid username and password on the NT Server. They then need adding to the group accessing the share. Then this will work. It is down to authentication.

You may have already found this by now - but...<br>
<br>
In addition to a logon and password in the domain, the 9x machines must be configured to logon to the domain. This is done through the network section of the control panel. select the client for Ms networking component and set the properties to logon on to your domain.<br>
<br>

On win95x machines, the usernames need to be the same as their nt logins. Unlike nt there is no option to &quot;connect as&quot;

if you are logging into the domain you dont have to have usernames on the local 95/98 machines, just configure the machines under networking to logon to the domain. Once the workstations are configured to logon properly you can do all the work from the domain where the shares are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back