Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing Share folder with UNC path

Status
Not open for further replies.

comsys

Programmer
Nov 7, 2003
US
Hello All,

I want to assign a drive letter(G) to a shared folder(Share1). This shared folder is on my PC. I'm able to assign and connect to this share using (\\Computer1\Share1)
or I can connect to any available drive with net use command
(example: NET USE G: \\Computer1\Share1.)

Does not work:
My question is: How do I connect to a share folder when the network cable is disconnected.

Works:
When the cable is connected to another computer (Note I want to access only share folder(local) on my pc)

So, why do I need the n/w cable connected to a router or to an another pc to access my share folder(local share folder) though the share folder is located in my pc and no remote access is involved.

ipconfig /all, gives cable disconnected..and no IP information is provided.
But I can ping my computername , result gives pinging host 127.0.0.1.. Network card works fine, host name is mapped to loopback(as host file has entry for mapping). Why I'm not able access my share folder with UNC method.. I want to assign a drive letter to a share folder.
like "NET USE G: \\computer1\Share1" since the cable is disconnected it says network cannot be located.

Any configuration needs to be done to solve this issue.

Please help me..

Netbios does not bind to the loopback adapter, it functions only for raw TCP/IP. When your network is disabled, there is nowhere for the SMB client to point it's request.

Install the loopback adapter and bind NetBT to it, all should be fine. See for instructions on installing the loopback.

Thanks for your help, it works fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back