Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing remote SQL database 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony11

IS-IT--Management
Oct 9, 2001
US
I have an SQL database located at a remote site. I need to be able to access this database and make changes, unfortunately, I do not have SQL installed here. Is there any way for me to access this database without installing SQL locally?

Depends what you want to do.

If you have a tcp/ip connection to the server you can set up an ODBC or OLE/DB dsn to the server and use any ODBC or OLED/DB client to query data.

You can also install just the client tools (Enterprise Manager. Query Analyser etc. on your local machine and access the remote server that way.

But how do you do that over the internet? This is a burning issue for me at the moment!

1. Is the SQL server available on the internet?
2. If so do you know its tcp/ip address?
3. If they have a firewall is the port that sql server users open (usually it is port 1033)?

If the answer to all 3 questions is yes.

Then to create a odbc dsn go to control panel odbc (may be under management tools depending on what version of windows you are running.

Put in the tcp/ip address as the server name, put your user name, password and default database in the appropriate boxes. Test the odbc connection.

Hi Dear fluteplr. What you are saying is very promising. Thank you very much,indeed. Let me explain my problem a little bit more... I have developed an ASP aplication(back-end is SQL Server)and runs on a rented machine somewhere out there(including SQL Server). It seems that we have to insert data (200 invoices etc.) to the database on SQL Server weekly and ideally this needs to be done remotely. The answers to your questions:
1 - Yes, the end users will be interacting with the database runs on SQL Server on the internet.
2 - No, but I get it.
3 - Again, I'll have to invastigate it.

Regards.

Hi,

I have the similar case. I don't know can I join this conversation or not. But I just want to share this information and needs the help.

I installed the client tools SQL Server at home, I want to connect to the Server at work. I know the TCP/IP address and I have an assigned UA/PWD. However, when I tried to connect to the work Server by ODBC, it failed. Neither one of you can help me this problem?
Oh, my home is running XP using AT&T cable modem if this is a matter.
Thanks so much.

eggy,
You really should start your own thread as your problem has very little to do with Tony. My guess is that your "work" SQL Server is on an INTERNAL tcp/ip address behind a firewall. One way to get to the SQL Server is through a VPN (Virtual Private Network) which then treats your "Home" machine as if you were on the "Work" network. Another method is through IIS (Internet Information Server) where you set up Virtual web platforms to get to the data through scripts (ASP, HTML, XML, etc.). The IP address you have from "Work" will probably do you no good. One test you can do is try to "PING" the "Work" ip address and see if it returns. Usually the "Work" address will be 10.?.?.? or 192.?.?.? which are considered internal addresses and help lock down the network. I hope this helps explain your possible problem.

Good Luck.

Hi Tony11,

After I have posted my message here I solved my problem regarding accessing SQL Server remotely. Basically there are three solutions to that:
First, follow what fluteplr says( I know you don't have that opportunity.)
Secondly, use RDS(Remote Data Services).Please don't ask me how? Because I couldn't quite understand it myself.
Thirdly, you could customize an ASP page to interact with the SQL Server. It depends on what your needs. In my case,
I need to run a text file which has a large insert statements. To do that I created a folder on the drive and put the text file there. Then I built a complex SQL string( xp_cmdshell etc.) and within an ASP page(through Command object) I executed the string. And Voila! It worked. I haven't tested it with 2000 insert statements yet but it finds the text file and runs it. It was a great relief after three sleeplees nights...

ayladilara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back