Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing pcAnywhere host in the LAN setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnandBhambure

Technical User
Sep 24, 2003
US
I have a pcanywhere host that is the part of LAN network. I want to access the host using TCP/IP.
I saw many threads for similar kind of issue. In all those questions they are using physical router, like linksys or so. In my case i am using my server computer as a router. It has two network cards and have DHCP server.(one network card connects to T1 line and other to LAN)
Now the problem is that i am not able to access my host computer remotely.
My server computer have a static ip address.

Please help me in this issue.

Anand

a. You mention you want to access the host using TCP/IP -- I'll assume you mean you're accessing an internal LAN host from somewhere out on the internet (i.e. the "other" side of your routing server). I'll also assume this router server is doing NAT for your LAN, meaning the PcA server is in a private IP like 10.* or 192.168.* or something.

b. You'll need to specify, somewhere in the router server, that traffic on the PcA port is to be routed specifically to which LAN IP address. This setup varies depending on what you're using for routing, but it's an extremely common setup and should be documented.

I think the port number varies between versions of PcA, but you can look at the settings on the host machine and it will show the port number (38xx comes to mind).

Nope, it's not 3800-something. In PcA 10.5, it's ports 5631 and 5632 by default.

I forgot I had it installed here.

You are absolutely right in your assumptions.
The computer running the host of PCA is having IP address 192.168.0.239.

I have also configured the lan card (with static ip) for opening of the port 5631 and 5632 for the ip address (192.168.0.239). But how do i verify that the port is really opened ?

I donno how do i really check how to access the LAN computer from outside my network, via internet.

I guess the another problem is my router is a computer... do you think so ?

The obvious way to check is to go to another internet PC and try to connect to the WAN IP address of the router using PcAnywhere. :)

There's nothing wrong with using a server as a router -- after all that's all Cisco routers are. They just don't have keyboards, and tend to be a bit more expensive.

Use nmap or grc.com and got shileds up it will probe and find out what is open. Sygate and others also have this ability. Why don't try ssh to make a tunnel using putty then connect to localhost from the remote machine. Thats what I do for VNC. I login with putty with some tunnels defined, this way only one REAL WORLD port is open, then I connect to localhost for VNC, Media Streming server and some other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back