Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing parameter browse table and browse field properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

RWWAMS

Technical User
Jan 3, 2003
US
Hi everyone,

I'm using crystal reports 8.5 dev, vb 6.0 pro, and access 2000.

Can anybody tell me if it is possible to access the browse
table and browse field properties of a parameter? And if so, how?

I'm building an interface to pass parameters to my report. I've added a combobox to the form and now need to populate it with data. I need the table and field name from the parameter in order to build the select statement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards, Rich

One of the downsides to versions Crystal 10 and below is that parameters are not dynamic, so keep this in mind when considering that approach. If you're reading in values that were populated from a table within Crystal, they are static, you'd probably be better served to query the table from the app to get the results dynamically.

Check the following:

In particular the RDC sample application in VB - updating the parameter picklist using ADO:
SCR8_VB_RDC_ParamUpdate.exe

-k

Thank you for replying.

A practice of mine while I am building and testing the report in Crystal is to populate the parameter default values with existing data from the database. I do this by choosing a table and field from drop down boxes called 'Browse table:' and 'Browse field:', then load everything as default values. The specified table and field is saved with the parameter.

Once I am happy with the report, I build a parameter interface from within my visual basic application. I basically loop through each parameter and load a combobox on the form then load the combobox with data retreived from a hard coded select statement. In the past everything was hardcoded and it got to be a pain to constantly update everything.

I am currently working on a new interface. I want to build the select statement in visual basic based on the table and field saved with the parameter in crystal reports.

Is this possible?

Thank you!
-Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back