Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing other servers when in Ras- please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy001

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2006
ZA
Hi

I have set-up ras on one of my servers. Everything seems to be configured properly. I am able to connect and I do get authenticated but I cannot ping any of my other servers
on the same domain. I have been through everything and even compared it to another server and all Ras settings are the same. Not sure if this is something to do with Cal's? As it is a new installation. Any ideas?

Thanks

Have you searched this forum for possibilities?

Including:
Netbios enabling,
Allowing access to other servers from RAS

Have a look and post back,

Iain

Yes, I have looked through the remote access forum ,but can't find anything

Net bios over tcp enabled?

Can you ping the server?

Can you ping other servers by ip then by name?

Is dns resolving?

I am able to connect and obviously ping the server I am dialing up to but cannot ping any of the other servers. Netbios over tcp is enabled.

I tried again and cannot ping anything outside of the server when connected

Is LAN routing enabled on your RAS server?
Open routing and remote access
Properties of the server object - > General - Check enable this computer as a router and then either LAN routing or LAN and demand dial routing whichever suits your needs

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
- Mark Twain

I have compared all my RAS settings to another server that is working. But yet my server does not work. I have made sure all proper routing is checked.

Are the servers you are trying to connect to on the same subnet as the RAS box? What if you do a traceroute when connected to your RAS box and see where it fails

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
- Mark Twain

Yes they are, but what I don't understand is, when I connect via dial up, where does it pick up 255.255.255.255? Is it by default? I will try the traceroute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back