Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

accessing MySql

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs51

Technical User
Oct 13, 2001
PT
i've a machine (win 2000) that has MySql (at work)
how can i access mysql in that machine from my machine at home (winXp Pro)?
thanks in advance

First, your work machine would need to have a static IP address and permanent Internet connection, and its firewall should be configured to allow access to port 3306 (or whatever port your MySQL installation uses).

Then, on your home machine, just point any client programs to use the IP address of your work machine and its MySQL port number. You could also install something like MySQL Control Centre if you like.

If your work MySQL installation is not already exposed to the world, then you would want to make sure that its passwords and user privileges are fairly tightly controlled before opening it up.

I hope that works for you.

Then, on your home machine, just point any client programs to use the IP address of your work machine and its MySQL port number.

In my machine i do it like this:

C:\mysql\bin>mysql -h localhost -u root -p
Enter password:

but from home to office, not sure... can you pls give me an hint or example?

Thanks for your answer

Sure!

If you're using the mysql client program, use:
[tt]mysql -h 192.168.123.4 -P 3306[/tt]
where the IP address is 192.168.123.4 and the port is 3306.

If you're using a GUI program like MySQL Control Centre, use the connection setup dialogue to specify the address and port.

thanks for your answer

as soon as i can i'll try it

Not only will your work firewall need to allow access to port 3306, it will need to port-forward those requests to your work macine. (probably also wise to limit this to portforwarding rule to your own home IP adsress to).

If you dont use a firewll.... I recommend you get one , easiest to use and cheap as chips (ok free, but you supply the old pc) = smoothwall (

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back