Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing my handwritten list

Status
Not open for further replies.

kieso

Technical User
Jan 29, 2003
US
I have a Crystal report that lists several thousand records, and HAND WRITTEN list that provides required details on about a dozen of these records. I need to get this hand written information onto a table, into crystal, and linked to the appropriate records. All I have now is the guy I’ve Volunteered for data entry :eek:)

The rest of the data resides on the AS-400 - Crystal accesses it through the ODBC. This small new table, however, cannot reside in the same place. (Really bizarre politics in this firm!)

What sort of table should I create? I don't want to use an excel table (too big cumbersome and error prone) but I like it for it's availability on the PC.

Perhaps a *.txt document that I have update each day on the windows text editor? Maybe something more elegant - but I'm not a programmer, guys so I need something that works and is real simple.

Thanks in advance

Rodger

Once this data is in the computer and available to Crystal, what are you intending to DO with it? That is the key question. Please take some time and explain your desired end result. Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports
dgilsdorf@trianglepartners.com

These records are all lost sales (ordered, but not shipped). We want a reason code for each one. (out of stock, loaded on the wrong truck, avoided returns, on truck but not delivered, etc.)

This handwritten list is the sales manager’s assessment of all those that were incorrectly ordered. (ex. Joe's Convenience Store ordered 12 Cases of Pringles chips instead of the 12 individuals they usually order)

Once I have the rest of my data linked to this list, I can do an

if (it's on the handwritten list) then 1 else 0

[red] just like the summing approach you taught me yesterday ... see dgillz, I'm learning[/red] :eek:)

Initially I was going to ask you folks if a parameter could be sought when the report opens that would identify certain records as "avoided returns" while still showing the other records with their own reason codes, but I think it would be best to be able to run historical reports if need be.

Rodger
the if x then 1 else 0 summing guy [thumbsup2]

If it was me I would create a MS Access database to hold this data, it is much easier to control what data the user can input into Access than it is with Excel.

After that has been done, link the Access database to your AS/400 database. You will most likely get a warning message about the linking since you are dealing with 2 different data sources. Ignore this message, I have done this many times and it has never given me a problem.

Finally the test to see if the item exists in the Access database will be as follows:

Not IsNull({YourAccessField}}
Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports
dgilsdorf@trianglepartners.com

If the list isn't lengthy... and it changes completely (or nearly completely) almost every day.. I would use a multi entry parameter on the report. You could then use

if (it's it in the parameter array) then 1 else 0

Lisa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back