Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing my client PC's C:\ 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codescribler

Programmer
Jun 27, 2007
GB
Hi All,

From my domain controler (windows server 2003) I can 'run' the following and it works for some computer but not all.

The command is: '\\<computer name>\c$'

How can I ensure that all the PC's in my network have accessible C:\'s?

Danny

What happens when you attempt to do it on the machine it doesn't work on. What error do you get?

Do you have a GPO that manipulates the firewall on those machines?

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP

The message is:

\\<machine name>\c$

No network provider accepted the given network path.

First verify that "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" is installed in each workstations Connection Properties. It needs this to create the admin share (c$)

Then make sure that if you have a desktop firewall on each workstation that you trust your server's ip address.

Koz~

File and Printer Sharing is installed and we are using Windows firewall on our internal network.

Try typing in "net share c$" at the command prompt of one of the workstations that does not work.

If you are using Windows Firewall, this will cause that error to return, I guess I cant off the top of my head point you to the service definition you would need to add but by default this is blocked via the firewall... Try disabling on one of the workstations and giving it another.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

I can connect to a computer with windows firewall running. However, on a different PC I can'y. So I disabled windows firewall and that allowed the connection. So, windows firewall was blocking it but there is a way round, just dont know what the setting is.

I have enough to proceed with my job, so consider this thread solved.

thanks again for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back