Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing LAN files takes forever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bomi2

IS-IT--Management
Feb 13, 2002
US
My LAN consists of (2)Windows 2000 Servers as DCs, (1)Windows NT4 file server, multiple Windows 98se users.

When users access files from network drives, sometimes the request for that file times out and sometimes it does not.

I do want to upgrade the NT4 machine to 2000, but the SCSI raid card is not compatible with 2000 (new hardware is on the way).

In the mean time, if you know how I can resolve this problem I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance, Bob Kolbasowski.

More information need on your backbone, please. What type of cabling are you using? Are you using a hub, switch, router, etc., and specifically, what models?

All three of my servers are TYAN motherboards, dual 900Mhz PIII, 512ram, one 20Gb ATA 100 (for OS), built-in 10/100 lan (using full duplex 100 on cat5 cabling).

I use 3 Intel hubs (all are the same), although right now I can't remember what the model number is.

All of my workstations run 98se and use 3com 905tx nics.

Depending on the actual # of machines, the hubs may be part of the problem ie collisions... Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Another thing to consider is the settings on your NICs.
Do you have the option to change the speed on each PC i.e. 100mbits full duplex, 10mbits half duplex etc. Could be worth playing about with this, or just stick it onto auto.

As stated in the last post, the hubs are something to consider...

Is each hub full? Maybe try speading the PCs out on each hub, for example, if each hub can take 10 PCs, limit it to 6-8.

If I think of anything else, I'll post...

Thank you for your replies. I will try all suggested ideas when I go into work tomorrow.
Quick question on hubs, should my servers all be on the same hub or distributed?
Thanks, Bob Kolbasowski.

That shouldn't really matter as hubs propagate all info out all ports. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

before starting to unpack your hubs, check whether the network utilization is indeed high, the thereshold is at 20% if i'm not mistaken

before starting to pack your hubs and replacing them with swhitches, check whether the network utilization is indeed high, the thereshold is at 20% if i'm not mistaken

U mentioned win98... i found that if a win2k machine trys to access a 98 machine to see the shares it takes forever, microsoft tells me its because win2k machine is cheking to scheduled task (so it doesn't interrupt is my best guess) so if u know the drives name skip looking at the shares i.e. instead of \\comp1 do \\comp1\c where c is the share u want... if u access it alot, best bet is to map it.

and i would recommend perhaps getting switch to replace one or all the hubs... more than 3-4 hubs link together will make a network very unreliable... a switch would improve performence and help with spanning distances. (a hub to hub is risky, not to mention adding a third)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back