Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing IP Office Remotely

Status
Not open for further replies.

jschweg

IS-IT--Management
Dec 19, 2002
US
I'm looking for some direction concerning an employee who is going to be working from a home office exclusively. I'd really like to get them attached to my IP Office 406 from the home location, but not sure where to start.

I don't really want to go with the SoftPhone solution (I've had nothing but trouble in the past), but rather is there a physical Avaya handset that I can plug into the person's home network and connect it to the 406 in my office here?

I guess I just need a starting point to see what I can and can't do.

2 methods

1) Site to Site VPN with IP Handset (e.g 5610)

2) VPN remote phone - 5610 IP Handset converted into VPN remote. You will still need a VPN router / firewall at the main office end. You will also need a licence.

Talk to your support company / BP for more help and pricing.

I would rather not have to setup a point to point VPN tunnel from the home office, so I like #2.

Just to expand on this solution, I assume that the 5610 can establish a VPN connection by itself at the handset level?

I think I answered my own question, looks like #2 is going to be my solution since I don't need a separate VPN device.

I'm going to get in touch with my consultants to see about getting one. Thanks for all of the help!

One last question, but does the handset use a standard PPTP/L2TP VPN connection? I'm just wondering as I have a Sonicwall Firewall/VPN which does provide L2TP, but the SSL VPN requires the SonicWall client. Any quick explanation on how the phone gets connected?

Yes, it uses a standard L2TP tunnel. The only difference between the VPN remote and the site to site configuration is that the VPN remote uses the phone as a VPN endpoint rather than requiring a separate device.

Make sure that the user has a router and has QOS configured to make VOIP traffic a high priority or call quality will suffer. Ensuring sufficient bandwidth is also important.

Using a VPN remote phone, the phone itself is the VPN client, and will initiate a L2TP tunnel to the Sonicwall, and once connected, will act as if it sits on the local network as a standard IP phone.

Side note - I would DISABLE H.232 transformations on the Sonicwall. I have never been able to make VPN phones with with that setting enabled.

MCSE, ACA, 12+ years in the IT field

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back