Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing Internet thur Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestPAGiz

Technical User
Jan 20, 2003
US
I am assisting a small business (6 Windows XP machines) install a Server. The server is up and running. I have DNS and DHCP running (formerly DHCP done by linksys router). Clients can log into domain and access server, but they cannot access internet unless I hard code the router address in the secondary DNS on each pc. I can do this, but there should be some place in the DNS on the server to put this, but I can figure it out. I was seaching for help on the DNS forwarding section, but it's got me a little confused.
The router is 192.168.1.1 and the server is 192.168.1.2 and the DHCP range is .100 to .200
Thanks.
Giz

You'll need to configure DNS forwarders.

For Windows Server 2003:
[blue]Start | Programs | Administrative Tools | DNS[/blue]
Right-click the server, select [blue]Properties[/blue]
Select the [blue]Forwarders[/blue] tab
Add the IP addresses of your ISP's DNS servers

MCSE CCNA CCDA

I have a similar problem, I am running Win2K3 R2. The DC is running DNS and DHCP without any problems. The router has an IP address of 192.168.1.1 and the DC/DNS server has a private IP on 10.101.x.x. I have added the ISP's DNS servers on the forwarders tab but still no joy!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Naz

naziern:
It looks like you have at least 2 different subnets.
I'll need more info on how your network is set up in order to assist you.

For instance:

How many subnets?
I assume the router (192.168.1.1) is doing the routing between subnets, correct?
Does the server handle DHCP for all subnets?
What is the DHCP configuration? Default gateway? DNS servers? etc.
What is the server's default gateway.

As for the PCs not getting to the internet:
From the command prompt, can you ping yahoo.com
Can you ping 4.2.2.2 ?
The answers to these questions will tell whether you have a DNS problem or a routing/connectivity problem.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

The ISP DNS was already in the forwarding. Still cannot get to internet. When the server was installed it the IP address of the NIC was 192.168.1.2 with subnet of 255.255.255.0 There was no Gateway and the DNS is 127.0.0.1 Should the Gateway and DNS be something different?

Unless you have ISA running on that server, the default gateway should be 192.168.1.1

MCSE CCNA CCDA

Try changing the DNS address on the server from 127.0.0.1 to the actual ip address of the server which I believe is 192.168.1.2

Thanks for the replies, and apologies to WestPAGiz for hijacking your thread, but I suspect we have very similar issues.

My setup looks like this:

Windows 2K3 R2 server, with AD, DNS and DHCP configured.
The server, ADSL router and clients are all connected via a single switch. There are no problems with adding clients to the domain.
Server has one NIC with the following settings.

Server IP address:
IP: 10.101.1.1
subnet: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 10.101.1.254
DNS1: 10.101.1.1
DNS2: blank

DNS: IP: 10.101.1.1
I have set-up my ISP's DNS addresses in the forwaders section on the DNS properties.

DHCP:
Scope: 10.101.1.100 > 10.101.1.200
Router: 10.101.1.254
DNS Server: 10.101.1.1

ADSL Router:
LAN IP Address: 192.168.1.1

I changed DHCP IP address and the NIC gateway address to the ADSL router address. This gets me internet but only for a short while.

Ping yahoo.com and I get the following error: 'ping request could not find host yahoo.com. Please check the name and try again'.
Ping yahoo IP address of 216.109.112.135 I get error:
'request timed out'.

I cannot ping the router, ping 192.168.1.1 also generates the 'request timed out' error. Pinging 4.2.2.2 also generates the same error.

I need to reference the ADSL router so it know where to send internet requests to, but not sure where I would do this!

Many thanks

Naz

Naziern,

Unless I'm missing something, the LAN address of the ADSL router needs to be in the same subnet as the rest of your network. When you say the gateway address on the server nic settings is 10.101.10.254, what device is that pointing to? That is what the LAN address of the router should be.

naziern,

Please advise:-

ping 127.0.0.1 = ????
ping 10.101.1.1 = ????
ping 10.101.1.254 = ????

DDIRR
Discover,Diagose,Investigate,Repair,Replace

Thanks again. I thought that should be in there, but didn't want to try it while everyone was logged on to the server.
GIZ

Hi 1toomany

Results of ping as requested:

ping 127.0.0.1 = OK, responds with bytes=32 time <1ms and TTL=128
ping 10.101.1.1 = OK, responds with bytes=32 time <1ms and TTL=128
ping 10.101.1.254 = request timed out.

I think I know where I am going wrong. There is nothing on the server that tells it where to go to service
There is a ADSL router with a address of 192.168.1.1
My server has a static IP of 10.101.10.1, subnet: 255.255.255.0 and gateway of 10.101.10.254

I need the gateway address to translate to the ADSL router. I cant enter the ADSL router directly on the server as this is on a different subnet.

If this is not possible I think I will need to change the servers IP/subnet to that of the ADSL router.

Does that make sense?

Thanks

Naz

Why not to change the IP of ADSL router to 10.101.1.254?

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

Ditto karlisi,

Your gateway MUST be on the same subnet/ip range as the host.

DDIRR

As karlisi said, change the LAN interface of the ADSL router to 10.101.1.254

MCSE CCNA CCDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back