Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing folder restricted by old machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhyno2k

IS-IT--Management
Jun 9, 2001
US
Hi,

I have a HD that used to be in my old computer running Win2K that I've moved to my new computer running WinXP SP1.

On the HD is a folder that had been restricted via NTFS. I'm trying to access the folder now, and I get access denied.

I've tried setting up a username on XP with the same name as the username that was the owner of the folder, but am still restricted.

How can I get access to this folder without uninstalling the drive, reinstalling in (and rebuilding!) the old computer, and changing the NTFS permissions?!

Thanks,
--RHYNO

If the drive is slaved, you should be able to take ownership
of the folder(s) and reset all permissions with the new system... ~ Whether you think you can or can't, you're right. Henry Ford~

For more information on ares69's response, use XP's Help and Support to look for 'take ownership'

Right-clicking the drive was the first thing I did, trying to take ownership. Problem is -- there's no security tab!

So poking around, I tried running the Network Setup Wizard (ridiculous), let it crunch for a while, rebooted, and then I could share the folder, which released the restrictive permissions.

But now, I have another partitioned drive on the same HD which has the same restrictions ("Access Denied" upon opening)... and I can't access Sharing, Security, Network Wiz... nothing. It says the file system is RAW, 0 bytes, and I'm only offered the General, Tools, and Hardware tabs...

??

Welp. Went back to the power of "Classic" networking and had my good old Win2K security options back, and all is well.

Umm...could you explain how you did get it to work. I have a folder in the root directory of an old win2k machine that I am trying to access from a new machine running Winxp. The username and password are the same but it will not allow access. There is no security tab on the old HD for me to allow. Please help

Well, for the original issue, I ran the Network Sharing Wizard (or something like that) under the Sharing tab of the folder's properties.

For the Hard Drive issue, I went to Control Panel > Folder Options > View tab > unchecked "use simpleton networking" (at the bottom), and the regular (regular as in Win2000) security tab appeared. I was then able to go in and take (back) ownership.

These changes might need a reboot to take effect.

scottaru,

If it's XP Home try Safe Mode to get your Security tab.
If it's Pro see if a Group Policy setting has removed the Security tab.

I am also having the same problem taking ownership of a folder and the Security tab will not display
(Windows XP Pro)

Jet, have you tried:

Start > Control Panel > Folder Options > View tab > unchecked "use simple networking" (at the bottom), and the regular (regular as in Win2000) security tab appeared. I was then able to go in and take (back) ownership.

as in my previous post?

--RHYNO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back