Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing Excel chart formulas from VB

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbarone

Programmer
Aug 1, 2001
US
Here is my situation, I have the simple problem of trying to access an excel chart series formula from VB.

The formula looks like this:

=SERIES("2000-01",Data!$E$587:$E$632,Data!$F$587:$F$632,13)

I want to import this formula from the excel chart into vb, change it, and then save it?

Thanks,
Tony Barone

You might the using the .Formula property of the Range object.

TheFormula = WksSheet.Range("A1").Formula
TheFormula = <YourExpression>
WkSheet.Range(&quot;A1&quot;).Formula = TheFormula
Good Luck
------------
Select * from Users where Clue > 0
0 rows returned

I tried &quot;theformula = mybook.Worksheets(&quot;Activity vs Max Q&quot;).range(&quot;ACT_VIS&quot;).Formula

where Activity vs. Max is the name of the sheet with the chart and ACT_VIS is the name of the series on the chart.

It gave me the error Subscript is out of range. I know the book is opened because at the same time I am pulling other data from cells from other worksheets in the book.

Thanks,
Tony Barone

I would guess that the problem is with ACT_VIS - The Range object is expecting a Cell Reference. I would suggest changing the .Range parameter a cell reference, specifically, the one which contains the formula.

On the other hand, if your looking for the Series formula from the Series object, you may want to try a reference similar to the following:

Worksheets(&quot;sheet1&quot;).ChartObjects(1).Chart. _
SeriesCollection(1).Formula Good Luck
------------
0 rows returned

What would I put in for the name of the chart object?Does this formuls look correct:

mybook.Worksheets(&quot;Activity vs Max Q&quot;).ChartObjects_(?).Chart.SeriesCollection(&quot;ACT_VIS&quot;).Formula

Thanks,
Tony Barone

ChartObject is a collection, so in the parenthesis you would identify the chart, either by index number, or by key name of the chart you interested in
Good Luck
------------
0 rows returned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back