Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing \\domain.name\shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADB100

Technical User
Mar 25, 2003
GB
If I type start, run '\\domain.name\' I see a list of shares on a Domain Controller (the logically nearest to me). If I try and select one of them to open it only the 'NETLOGON' or 'SYSVOL' or the DFS shares open up, the others I get a dialogue box telling me the share is not accessible. Is this by design or is it likely to be a setup problem. If I type '\\server.domain.name\' I can access any of the shares on the DC.

Thanks

Andy

It sounds similar to the concept of DFS but without being set up correctly.

You are accessing the AD structure within your domain, the non-DFS shares are not known to DFS and so the system is stopping you from connecting; that is my guess anyhow!

This is by design. \\domain.com is a DFS share, so non-DFS links (the other shares in the list) will not be accessible using that method.

Thanks for the replies, it is pretty much what I thought. The only issue I have with it is why are they then visible if they are not 'actually there'?

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back