Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing DFS shares remotely via RRAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovs8

Technical User
Mar 15, 2004
US
I configured our W2K DC as a RRAS server. I also let gre and pptp through our Cisco ASA 5505(static route to the server and access group on outside_in). RRAS uses static IP address pool. NetBEUi is allowed in the RRAS configuration for the entire network.

When I access our RRAS server remotely I can map our DFS based drive using \\SERVERNAME\dfs-share-name. But I can NOT map it with \\DOMAINNAME\dfs-share-name. Obviously, when I'm in the office I can map it both ways.

Also, with RRAS connection I can map shares of another file server with \\192.168.x.x\sharename. But I can NOT map is with \\hostname\sharename.

Any suggestions?
Thanks a lot.
Oleg

Hmmm, initally I'd guess it maybe DNS. What happens when you do a NSLOOKUP against the domain name from your RRAS client?

Steve.

"They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson

Well, when I directly query my remote server that I use on my PPP connection it correctly resolves my local domain to it's DC (we use 'private' domain (.local) at the office). But it doesn't resolve it when I don't specify my DNS server (it uses my ethernet adaptor's settings).

We use 'private' domain (.local) at our office.

Hmm, I just noticed that ip address assigned to my PPP connection has 255.255.255.255 subnet mask.

is the ip addy range defined for rras in the same network segment as the internal systems? netbeui is non-routable...if you don't need it, eliminate it...its a HUGE problem to run on DCs...as is RRAS while im at it...

In your RRAS configuration, did you put the DC as the DNS server?

My hope is that you're not multi-homing your DC...if you are, you're running in an unsupported configuration.

Are you using the windows "create a connection" wizard to create the vpn link?

-Brandon Wilson
MCSE00/03, MCSA:Messaging00, MCSA03, A+

- Yes the ip is on the same subnet as the internal system
- In my RRAS configuration I did put our DC as the DNS server
- What exactly is not supported with multihomed DC? I do have a 'bdc' server running. Could this be a cause to our problems?
- Yes we use windows' "create a connection" VPN clients.

Thanks a lot,
oleg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back