Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing Dbf files residing on netware 5 server using FP2.6 from XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnhouk

Technical User
Oct 24, 2001
US
I can't open dbf files from foxpro, if there located on our server. It works If I move them to the C drive and make apropriate adjustments to compinsate the new location. It sounds much like the problem found at And they suggest to read and follow but it didnt seem to do any good. Any advise would be greatly apreciated. I'd really hate to downgrade all of our new xp machines because of something so strange. Sorry about my poor spelling, there seems to be no spell checker.

John,
Can you give more details? I just tried browsing and changing a DBF (both read only and non-read only) using both FPD 2.6a and FPW 2.6a on our Novell server (5.1) using the (unpatched) 4.83 client on Win XP Pro, and didn't seem to have any problems.

Rick

When the program gets to the USE command, it reports File ___ does not exist. Just like if the drive were not mapped correctly, though I've checked this. And yes, it's correct.

Strange - any chance your path has embedded spaces somewhere? (e.g. M:\data files\mydata.dbf) Does your Novell volume have the OS2 long filename option set?

Rick

An example of how our use commands are implemented:
use po index ponum, poven
In foxstart.prg there's:
set path to c:\foxpro25\pelican,f:\peldata

Hi John,

Since your path names seem to be OK, are you certain that your new XP machine can indeed "see" the F: drive?

Can you go into the Command window of your Foxpro and then look at your File | Open and change the Drive to F: ?

If you can, then attempt to Open the table manually through the Command window. If that works, great.

If not, then other problems exist. Network access problems, or perhaps your XP system is not set up to map the F: drive correctly?

Good Luck,
jrbbldr
jrbbldr@yahoo.com

Yes, I can "use" the files from the foxpro interface.

John,
I've never seen the "," used in a USE before, and I don't see where this syntax is supported in the Help files. Are these separate .IDX or .NDX files (vs. tags in a .CDX)?

Is it possible the development environment allows this and not the runtime?

Rick

Im still a little nieve when it comes to fox pro. To my knowledge the comma seperated paramaters are simpily feild names. I know very little about the use of the index type files .idx .ndx .cdx
This syntax works well with 9x machines (and this xp machine, provided i've relocated the dbf files to a local drive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back