Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing Com1: in a DOS Window

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcomit

Technical User
Jun 20, 2001
GB
I want to access com1: in a DOS window but when I send something to it "dir > com1:" it fails with the 'abort/quit' message.

The port functions correctlty in Win95/98. I've tried restarting in MS-DOS mode to no avail. I've also deleted the port in control panel but still get the same result.

Any ideas?

u can do this command if a printer is attatched to it but com1 is usually attached to a mouse in old systems so u can't send output to a mouse,right?
and u can't send it to an empty communication port
if u want to print that command use the port which is attached to a printer
usually:LPT1
try:
dir >lpt1 i can help
mselim2001@yahoo.com

Without having a duplicate setup to check out in a test I suspect that the reason you are failing is that you don't have something connected that puts DTR on the port. So effectively DOS doesn't think anything is there so it aborts.
Try it to a port with a modem and see if it doesn't work there. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back