Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing BCM400 CS1000 over Public Internet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jifitz

IS-IT--Management
Jun 10, 2004
US
I have a 2 BCM400s and a CS1000. I would like to to try to configure the boxes from the outside. Right now we are sending our remote VOIP traffic over VPNs that are having many issues including own way voice, and dropped calls. I wan to put a Sonicwall PRO1260 in front of it and open ports to direct all traffic the Nortel boxes. And then I want to program the I2002 and I2004 IP Sets Server 1 and Server 2 as a public IP. Can this be done and if so how?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
James

yes it can be done and yes it's going to get hacked.. but it may be better to post this in the bcm forum.. this one is the pbx side of nortel

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Thanks for telling me what my Nortel rep missed. So a VPN is the best way?

The problem you will have, besides getting hacked, is that ALL of you devices that would be on the TLAN (phones, Media Cards, Sig Servers, NRS, etc) would all need public IP addresses as well.

Since the phones have to talk to these devices, you have to be able to route to them, to route to them from the outside, you need a public IP on those devices.

A VPN will secure you, allowing a tunnel connection and the passing of Private IP addressing within the tunnel.

There was a case when one lab put a DMS on the public Internet for some testing. It was being hit with hack attacks within 4 hours of going live.

--
Fletch

Nortel Emergency Services PLM

Don't forget about the FREE E911 Webinar Oct. 30th!
Register online at

Thank you both for your answers. Prior to me coming to my company they invested in a budget VPN solution and now we are paying for it. I want an MPLS network but that I will not get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back