Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing An Internal Website Like an External User

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurricane766

IS-IT--Management
Nov 30, 2004
CA
Hi,

We have a website hosted on our local network. We can access the website locally through it's local IP address. External users can access the website using it's external IP address.

What we need to be able to do is access the website from the internal network using the external IP address. We need this so we can see what other people are seeing on our website.

When I browse to the external IP address I get a 404 error?

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks
Dan

Does your external website have a domain name? Why not use that? Internally it should be able to resolve that.

Jake Chaffee
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who can read binary and those who can't."

Well no, the website is in production so we don't have a domain name for it. But wouldn't a domain name get resolved to the external IP address and then I'd have the same problem?

Like I said I don't want it to resolve internally because that's not exactly the same as what John Doe internet user sees. (specifically, if accessed internally the CSS isn't loading properly)

If you NAT traffic, no. You can however VPN into an external network and then use that internet to do it.

Burt

Since your firewall will do NATing, the webserver is always aproached using an internal IP.
If you want to approach the server with the domain name, you'll need to build an internal DNS with that domain name, or let your firewall do the DNS translation for you (Cisco's can do this, pretty easy).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back