Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing an Access program on a Palm Pilot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeroanarchy

Technical User
Jun 11, 2001
AU
I have had no experience transferring an access database to a Palm Pilot. If anyone has done this and has any good ideas I would appreatiate it.

I am trying to answer the following questions before I begin the process.

1. What is the best Palm Pocket to work on.
2. What software does one need.
3. The Access Database I have developed needs to be updated from the palm, in other words if a record is added to the palm that record needs to be added to the desktop system.
The Problem. The form that both the Palm and the Desk will be sharing is Autonumbered this will become a prob if they are sync because if a new record is added to both the next time you sync the data will not cross ref, has anyone come up with a solution to this?

I am doing this now on a pocket pc. I am a beginner so I hope someone else with more experience posts a reply. First there is no Access program for the pocket pc. You will need ActiveSync and Embedded visual tools which is free from Microsoft. Autonumber is not supported and you will have to work around it. There are plenty of autonumber workarounds on the web. There are plenty of commercial versions of software that do what you want. I bought two books one by Rob Tiffany and the other by Chris Tacke that walked me through the whole process. I have a working application that does pretty much what your asking for. If this stuff is available for the pocket pc I sure you wont have any problems with the palm. You might try posting in the Hand-held and Palm-sized devices forum.

As far as your autonumber sync issue is concerned, you should look into using a randomized autonumer as opposed to an incremented one. This should take care of your sync issue.

Hi,
Check out Pendragon forms.Use Yahoo to find the address
this will allow you to design an Access form and load it to the Palm. I am trying to figure it out and it looks good.
I dont know about the Autonumber have a look at it

Hope this helps

Duff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back