Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

accessing a Zero Node Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

snahl

Technical User
Jul 7, 2006
CH
Hi,

I have an NAS (Network attached storage). While changing the configuration I did a very stupid mistake. For some reason I entered a subnetmask 255.255.255.255 thus creating a so-called Zero-Node Network.
The NAS has IP-adress 192.168.1.41

When I try to establish a connection to the NAS with my client PC (XP, 192.168.1.35 / subnet: 255.255.255.0) the ARP and UDP protocol of course don't get any replies from the NAS.

How could I possibly change the TCP/IP configuration?
Is there a way to still connect to the NAS with the TCP/IP protocol?

I know it's a somewaht stupid question, but this NAS has no other interface to change the configuration.
While researching the Net I found that OpenBSD and also Linux can make use of such a netmask, but I am not familiar with neither of the two OS not their implementation of TCP/IP.

I contacted the manufacuter, but so far have not received a reply.

Any hints and tips are most welcome.

Is their a reset button on the back somewhere, pushing this should restore the factory defaults.

hello one4thumb

well yes there is a reset button, I know and thanks for the tip anyway.
But this button resets the NAS to factory default including the data stored on the NAS.
Removing the disks prior to pushing the reset button does not help either, as the disks will no longer be recognized by the newly established factory defualt configuration.
So this is not an option at all.

Luckily INRANT support has provided a utility to overcome my stupid error.
Interested? Then check the community support forum at INFRANT.com, search for "zero AND node AND Network".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back