Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing a Printer over a direct cable connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

CNThompson

Technical User
Mar 21, 2001
US
I have two computer networked together using a crossover cable, but I am unable to access my HP printer which is connected into one from the other one. Is there any way I can set up the printer so I can use it over the network?

This is not actually a cabling issue. For more details you whould re-post this question under the OS you are using. Assuming you're using a version of Windows: briefly, on the computer connected to the printer, you need to share the printer so it appears in your Network Neighborhood as shared resource. Jeff

If everything seems to be going well: you don't have enough information.......

Are you using JetDirect and TCP/IP to run the HP? If so, are the networks in the same subnet? If they are not, they will not talk, even if you threaten to spank them. You will need either a router, a switch with a routing module, or a multi-homed PC to route between the two networks. If this can help, email me and I will give you more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back