Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing a partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

joepalm

Technical User
May 28, 2001
NZ
I want to copy the recovery image from my hard drive, the partition cannot be seen under windows XP only under fdisk. Is there anyway I can get to it?

Thanks
JP

do you mean it can't be seen in explorer?

have you tried disk management? (run diskmgmt.msc). Its probably a hidden partition - but it may just not be filestore type recognised by XP (you don't say what fdisk says about it). it may just not have a drive letter assigned (you can do that in disk management).

- boot manager, has hide/unhide partition functionality (part of its free functionality).

FDISK shows PRI DOS, Fat32 and 4% od disk space used.
Disk Manager will only let me delete the partition every other option is greyed out.

Thanks
JP

Is your OS a factory installed OEM type?

Many OEM's place restore/OS files on a special partition to be used in place of a CD.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Yes factory OS is on seperate partition, I want to transfer it to a new hard drive so I can re-install.

Thanks
JP

Just a thought...

Hate those hidden partitions

Can you access it with a DOS 6.22 boot disk ?
Create same type,size, volume name on the new disk, transfer via DOS. Then again, they probably encrypt it.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Try the trial, or buy, Acronis True Image, this can clone the complete drive, all partitions. Just follow their excellent guides.

Clone the complete HD to the new HD. This new HD will be a "True" image of the original and will boot the original system with no problems.

If you are attempting to clone this for another system, I am afraid that MS will not allow this, especially in the case of an OEM OS distro.

Acronis

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back