Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing a Novell server

Status
Not open for further replies.

eleven11elev

Programmer
Dec 29, 2004
US
I have a windows 2003 server and I am trying to view files on a Novell server. I have installed the NWLink Netbios, NWLink IPX/SPX Compatible transport, and Client Service for Netware and when I try to connect to the server I get an error. I dont want to have the Novell client on the machine cause when I try to remote desktop into the server, I have to put in three separate passwords. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

I think you would still need to have the Novell client, have you tried Console one ?

I have a windows nt server that access the novell network just fine with the installed components. That is what makes me think it is possible without the novell client. I am not familiar with console one, therefore I have not tried it.

what vesrion of netware are you trying to attah to?

csnw is ipx only - i would be very surprised if you netware servers support ipx - unless you still have 4.11 or such like - netware still supports ipx but in the last three versions you have had to select it - it's not a default

if you only need occasional access etc then you can configure cifs on the netware server - this means that you can access it just like it was a ms server - this will use native ms protocols - it will be slightly slower than the netware client but is more appropriate for you -

you could also get the netware guy to config netstorage or ifolder for you

console1 is for admin of netware - it would require a client on your system but you dont need that - thats like the admin mmc type idea

Do check your IPX settings to make sure you're using the same frame types. Also, as terry712 says, csnw is ipx only - so you'll have to use the Novell Client if you don't have IPX loaded on the Novell server. I've done this with NT 4, W2K, W2K3 on Netware 3, 5, and 6 servers. It will work.

Iolair MacWalter

It is netware 5 and it is running IPX. Where shouold I go from here??? What do you all think would be the easiest way to connect with the 2k3 server?? Thanks again

ok - if it's 5 then you cant use cifs or ifolder or anything
these only come with 6.x

i'm surprised it's running ipx - to me thats been setup by a non netware person

your options are to install the netware client - remebering that you will need to do a custom install as it will not install ipx by default

or - you can use cnsw (personally i have never used this as i regard it as a security violation as it's a generic login to all intends and purposes)
if you go this route this - install the ipx bit - make sure its not auto - specify the network address - this is in the ipx bind on server - and set it to frame type - most likely 802.2 or possible ethernet_ii - or if really badly setup then it's 802.3
then you need to do the csnw setup bits - no idea about this part but i think it's just a slap it on

if you only need access to a certain directory or such like them i would be inclined to ask the netware guy to enable ftp to a home drive then just copy the files up and down

I'm kind of having the same issue, but I can connect to the Novell server, but the latentcy accessing files is horrible. I use the msgina to authenticate to the AD domain and the Novell client runs in the background for NW authentication. Anyone have any ideas onhow to speed up the file access to the NW box?

Tom S
Infinetwork
Naples, FL

what novell client are you using - it should be 4.9 sp2
preferably ip only

it could be many things - the msgina (not my choice) but shouldnt make any difference - i beleive it's just an order

go to a dos box - type slpinfo /all
it should say a scope and an address of a da
should be delivered from dhcp and not multicasting

the last part will also tell you this something like
last address out - this should be a local da and not a multi address

this would be the first place to start - slp to a netware server is basically a global catalogue on steriods

also when you install the client - if you are not using nmas then deselect it

I would get rid of the Microsoft NWLink (Ipx) and stay with IP. Download and install the Novell Netware client. You'll need some info to put into the client so that it can log-in. Such as the Tree Name and Location of the User/admin person in the Tree you are logging in as. There are other tweaks to the client you can do to really speed up the client, but with this info, you should have no trouble accessing the Netware 5 box from Win 2003.

Once you have to NetWare client installed, you can put a Link to the Log-In menu on your desktop, then change the order of the Log-In on the Win 2003 box so that MSGINA loads first and you can even take out the Netware and only log-in when you use the link on your desktop. Staying IP will make your day much easier than trying to mess with IPX and getting it to work on Win 2003.

Good Luck

>-- --<

[worm] Bill [:<}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back