Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing a Nortel PBX 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 11, 2004
CA
Hi, I know nothing about Nortel (I'm an avaya pod).

Is it possible to access a Nortel PBX (Opt 11,51,61,etc)via IP and if so, what kind of terminal emulation software, card type system version, etc. is required.

Many thanks for educating this avaya pod....

Yes u can, u put all ur devices on its own elan, seperate from data traffic. U can access this via a terminal server too, connect all ur serial ports. Nortel has a software called Element Manager, this located on a sig server, u can access the system via java. You can telnet to a sig server and cslogin in to the call server (cs 1k/ meridian). All terminal software can be used, most pobular is Pro Comm. We have another admin software call Telephony Manager (TM),

Cheers,

Killian

Yes you can access nortel pbx's using the Rlogin protocol over IP, or use a Telnet server connected to the PBX serial port. Another way is to telnet via the signaling server, if the PBX is equipped with one.

A good s/w that supports the Rlogin protocol is called ZOC from
If you search the forum, you will find how to login via Rlogin.

You will need a P1 cable and ethernet transceiver for the PBX. Then assign the IP, subnet mask, and gateway in LD 117. Pretty quick and easy. No new cards needed.

You don't always need the cable and transceiver. Depends on the switch and processor.

The larger switches (51c-81C) do not use the transciever. The older large switches used a transciever connected to a AUI jack. The newer switches have ethernet connections right on the CPU.

When you get ready to connect to the switch you will need to setup the IP in the switch

Get an IP/subnet mask/Gateway. Go to LD 117 and build;

NEW HOST hostname IPaddress
NEW ROUTE networkIP gateway IP
Change the mask

LD 137 enl elnk (elink)

Then you need to make sure you go to LD 17 and create a couple of PTY connections.

Another software you might want to try is Phonemaster from
I have heard it is better than TM, however, I cannot say (never used anything but Phonemaster).

or you can use the lantronix ip/serial adapater and you just attach to an active tty serial port.

i use these and they work fine.

John

dont forget to build your PTY or you aint getting in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back