Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

accessing a network while dialed in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

silvami

Technical User
Dec 10, 2003
US
I am currently using Windows 2000. I have to dialup to a seperate connection to submit data to another agency. While I am logged in to that agency's dialup network I am unable to access anything on my LAN. My LAN connection shows that I am still connected but I cannot access anything through that LAN connection. I must wait until I am am done with the dialup connection and then I am able to access email and network items on my LAN.

Is there a way I can access my LAN while I am dialed in?

Thanks,
Mike

Silvami,

If you are connecting to a VPN you will not be able to see local computers or use local internet access unless the firewall is configured for split tunneling.

We just configured this today on my network because people were complaining to me that they couldn't surf the web using their local ISP connection while they were dialed into the web.

One of the reasons why this isn't configured is because you could "infect" the network you're dialed into if you visit a bad site and that data gets transferred over to the remote network via the tunnel.

I'm actually on site accessing my companies LAN. But thanks for the suggestion.

Not yet do you have any suggestions?

You can try going into the settings for the dialup connection and unchecking use gateway on remote network (or whatever the exact wording is). If it causes problems in your connection to transfer data, then you can investigate adding specific routes for the remote network you are dialing into or referencing the remote machines by IP address instead of name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back