Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing a module outside of the database

Status
Not open for further replies.

LonnieJohnson

Programmer
Apr 16, 2001
US
I've never seen this but thought I'd ask. Is there anyway to access a module outside of a database? Can I have a database of functions or procedures and call them from other databases?

ProDev, MS Access Applications
Visit me at ==> Contact me at ==>lonniejohnson@prodev.us

May God bless you beyond your imagination!!!

I think you can set up the mdb file as a library database, and register it in your application.

MarkGrizzle:

Can you give any more advice? I've found out from help and other sources that the Library Database is the way to go. Here's what I'm trying to do.

I have three databases that three different users access. They all update (via linked tables) from a master database when I run a macro. Instead of opening each database and running the macro, I'd like to develop a module (in a new database if necessary) that calls all the update_macros.

In reality I have more like 40 databases that 40 users use, thus making it time-consuming to do it several times a week.

Any help from anyout would be very appreciated!

It is also possible to simply add a ".mdb" (database) as a reference and access the functions within the referenced db.

I heartily reccomend the abandonment of the use of "MACRO"s in Ms. A., as they do not provide error trapping.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

Searching for employment in all the wrong places

You can also encapsulate all of your functions inside a DLL, and you can instantiate the DLL from any application.

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

"You can also encapsulate all of your functions inside a DLL ... "

IF you have the capability of generating a .DLL ...

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

Searching for employment in all the wrong places

True Michael. I am guilty of taking that for granted.

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back