Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing a directory on RedHat 7.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

benbeneke

IS-IT--Management
Dec 5, 2002
AU
Hi All,

I have inherited a redhat 7.1 server in a new job. This server runs apache amongst other things, and hosts our intranet site in the /var/ directory.

I have the root login and need to be able to setup access to the intranet site files via a windows 98 and NT4 machines to allow them to be updated.

I tried to setup access via the smb.conf file and was partially successful, I can see the files and folders via windows but I cannot open or edit them.

I need to setup access for 3 people including myself who can modify, delete and create files while at the same time making sure that the intranet site stays up.

Would I be better off downloading these files to another area for offline editing and then uploading?

or

Setting up access for the 3 of us to these files directly?

Now the crunch - how would i go about doing it?

Hope you guys can help.

Many thanks

Ben

Have you added the users to samba?

smbpasswd -a <username> <passwd>

They should be users on the system, in which case, you could make them members of the same group and then chmod the directory you've got shared to 770 (owner, group, rwx permissions).

Ian

Ian,

Thanks a lot, that sounds like just the job.

What does the -a switch do?

None of us are users in our own right yet, I will get onto that tomorrow.

How will linux pick up who we are from windows?

Many thanks

Ben

Also have a look at Webmin ( This is a web administration tool which makes configuring things like this a breeze - it make be useful if you are inexperienced in certain areas without the time to learn them...

ChrisCW

Sorry, just to answer your other question, that's what samba users are for. When you connect to the share from windows, you will be prompted for your username and password.

Try also this option: open a web browser and type in the server name should look something like this: just make sure that the swat service is installed and working properly.

Pacman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back