Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access97 with Office2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsTFB

MIS
Oct 3, 2000
US
I have installed Office2000. However, I have a shared database that needs to continue to run with Access97. I have tried to install the 97 version, I have uninstalled Office2000, installed complete office97, uninstalled everything except Access, etc..... Every time, no matter what the Access reverts to the 2000 version. This will not work as other user on database only has 97.

I'm not great at all this and would really appreciate some ideas. I now have neither office version opening said database?!?!?!

Thanks for any ideas!
MrsTFB

You will need to convert your 97 database to a 2000 version. To do this:

1. In Access 2000, on the Tools menu, point to Database Utilities; point to Convert Database, and then click To Current Access Database Version.

2. In the Database To Convert From dialog box, select the database you want to convert, and then click Convert.

3. In the Convert Database Into dialog box, type a new name (without the .mdb extension) for the Access 2000 database file.
– or –
Select a different location for the Access 97 database file. (You can keep the same name for the database file or change it.)

4. Click Save.

I had a problem with MDE files however. MDE files are compiled versions of a database without any code in the canonical text form. Without this text form, you cannot edit the design of forms, reports, and modules. This also implies that you cannot convert a MDE file to any other version of Access. You must use (for example) Access 2000 to convert the mdb file to MDE format again.

From Access 97 help on MDE property:

Warning: Be sure to retain a copy of your original database. If you need to change any code or the design of objects in an .mde database, you must do so in the original database and then create a new .mde database. You will also need the original database in order to convert to future versions of Microsoft Access because you can't directly convert .mde files.

MrsTFB...

I've run into this on numerous occassions and there is a simple workaround. You just have to temporarily change a couple of filenames and a couple of other hoops.

Rather than go into detail on this forum, point your browser to Microsoft's KnowledgeBase at:

Hope this helps...

You guys were SO helpful. That Microsoft KB Article was EXACTLY what I needed. I'm printing the first response, I think I may need that information later.

THANKS,

MrsTFB in Tenn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back