Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access2K Runtime Setup Error 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensibilium

Programmer
Apr 6, 2000
GB
Help!! I have a working Access Database which I have packaged and deployed, but some of the machines on the network do not install the package correctly, the errors I receive are as follows:

[tt]MSADOX.DLL Cannot be registered
MSADO21.TLB Cannot be registered[/tt]
(Or something similar...)

However, I have had the register error on MSADOX.DLL the beginning, but it never affects the running of my distributed db app.
If the MSADO21.TLB register error occurs, then the setup still completes successfully (if both errors have been 'Ignored'), but when the db app is executed it causes a Runtime Error and closes down the App!

If anyone knows of any KnowledgeBase articles that may help, please tell me as I can't find one myself (after searching for 2 hours or so). [sig]<p>ahdkaw<br><a href=mailto:ahdkaw@ots.zzn.com>ahdkaw@ots.zzn.com</a><br><a href= anythign can go wrong, it will'[/sig]

Are there any other installations of Access on the required machines? If so, these will need to be uninstalled first to prevent any conflicts. [sig]<p>Phooey<br><a href=mailto:Andrew.j.harrison@capgemini.co.uk>Andrew.j.harrison@capgemini.co.uk</a><br>Otherwise known as Windy Bottom.[/sig]

Oh, I've done all that! They all have Access Runtime installed.

My next step, thanks to a search on here under MSADO21.TLB, will be to uninstall all AccessRuntimes, and then install MDAC_TYP.EXE on each machine, and then try again.

I will post the results here soon... [sig]<p>ahdkaw<br><a href=mailto:ahdkaw@ots.zzn.com>ahdkaw@ots.zzn.com</a><br><a href= anythign can go wrong, it will'[/sig]

Okay, I've had no luck with this at all! :eek:(

I have started within a clean machine, installed MDACS, then installed Access2KRuntime, followed by my Access Front-End DB.

I get the same results again, ie: MSADO21.TLB Cannot be registered.

Start the DB, and again I receive the same old 'This Application has caused a runtime error. This application will now be shut down'. Aaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhhh!

Please help! Even Microsoft have no KnowledgeBase articles on this problem.

(I don't like to say it, but I have a funny feeling that I will have to re-install windows on all machines that this problem occurs - I don't really want to do this, as one of the affected machines is the network server...) [sig]<p>ahdkaw<br><a href=mailto:ahdkaw@ots.zzn.com>ahdkaw@ots.zzn.com</a><br><a href= anythign can go wrong, it will'[/sig]

I have had the exact same problems with a program solution I created in Access 2000 and deployed via CD to other machines. Our clients had Windows 98 and Office 97 installed on most of the machines that gave error messages during installation or error messages that came up trying to run the program in the Runtime environment.

My question is: Do you have a &quot;switchboard&quot; form created by the switchboard manager? If so, are you using it as the startup form? In my case, the startup form &quot;FillOptions&quot; module was causing the error messages. Here is how I overcame it.

The error message was being caused by the Switchboard &quot;FillOptions&quot; code. I used the switchboard manager to create the main switchboard for my program and the code created uses an &quot;ADODB. Recordset&quot; that was causing the error on runtime. For some reason when I used the new &quot;ADO&quot; reference, it will not work in the runtime environment. I switched the code to use the &quot;DAO.Recordset&quot; and the only reference library that was required to run the program was MSADO35.dll. There were some other files referenced in the setup, but after installing the revised program on my test machine, it ran perfectly. Here are the changes I made to the code:
1) I commented out Dim con as object
2) I commented out Set rs = CreateObject(&quot;ADODB.Recordset&quot;)
3) I commented out rs.Open stSql, con, 1 '1 = adOpenKeyset
4) I added Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordSset(stSql)
5) I commented out Set con =Nothing
Below is the FillOptions module with the changes I noted.

Private Sub FillOptions()
' Fill in the options for this switchboard page.

' The number of buttons on the form.
'On Error GoTo HandleErr
Const conNumButtons = 7
'Dim con As Object
Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
Dim stSql As String
Dim intOption As Integer

' Set the focus to the first button on the form,
' and then hide all of the buttons on the form
' but the first. You can't hide the field with the focus.
Me![Option1].SetFocus
For intOption = 2 To conNumButtons
Me(&quot;Option&quot; & intOption).Visible = False
Me(&quot;OptionLabel&quot; & intOption).Visible = False
Next intOption

' Open the table of Switchboard Items, and find
' the first item for this Switchboard Page.
'Set con = Application.CurrentProject.Connection
stSql = &quot;SELECT * FROM [Switchboard Items]&quot;
stSql = stSql & &quot; WHERE [ItemNumber] > 0 AND [SwitchboardID]=&quot; & Me![SwitchboardID]
stSql = stSql & &quot; ORDER BY [ItemNumber];&quot;
'Set rs = CreateObject(&quot;ADO.Recordset&quot;)
'rs.Open stSql, con, 1 ' 1 = adOpenKeyset
Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset(stSql)
' If there are no options for this Switchboard Page,' display a message. Otherwise, fill the page with the items.
If (rs.EOF) Then
Me![OptionLabel1].Caption = &quot;There are no items for this switchboard page&quot;
Else
While (Not (rs.EOF))
Me(&quot;Option&quot; & rs![ItemNumber]).Visible = True
Me(&quot;OptionLabel&quot; & rs![ItemNumber]).Visible = True
Me(&quot;OptionLabel&quot; & rs![ItemNumber]).Caption = rs![ItemText]
rs.MoveNext
Wend
End If

' Close the recordset and the database.rs.Close
Set rs = Nothing
'Set con = Nothing

ExitHere:
Exit Sub

' Error handling block added by Error Handler Add-In. DO NOT EDIT this block of code.
' Automatic error handler last updated at 09-13-2000 12:56:27 'ErrorHandler:$$D=09-13-2000 'ErrorHandler:$$T=12:56:27
HandleErr:
Select Case Err.Number
Case Else
MsgBox &quot;Error &quot; & Err.Number & &quot;: &quot; & Err.Description, vbCritical, &quot;Form_Switchboard.FillOptions&quot; 'ErrorHandler:$$N=Form_Switchboard.FillOptions
End Select
' End Error handling block.
End Sub

It seems that Access 97 and Access 2000 Runtime do not like the newer &quot;ADO&quot; reference and prefer the &quot;DAO&quot;. I just fixed my error messages over this past weekend and I am in the process of making one last test. I am going to blow out the Switchboard form completely and build one from scratch that does not use any of the code the &quot;manager&quot; uses to create the &quot;on the fly&quot; switchboard changes users can modify. Since I do not want my users making any changes, I think this is the best way to go.

BMeek [sig][/sig]

Okay, each of the machines that receive this error have Windoze98 First Edition and Office 97 installed.

The machines that the install works on have Windoze98 Second Edition and Office 2000 installed.

In answer to your question, no I do not use the Swucthboard Manager, because it was too restrictive to my needs. I have a form 'frmMain' which is a tabbed form with listboxes containing Products, Purchase Orders, Suppliers, and Duty Rates.

As the Front-end has linked tables, once frmMain is loaded, the app checks the linked tables, and if it can't find the back-end you can browse for it. But it can't be the code, can it? It works perfectly well on these 2 machines with Win98SE & Office2K installed...

The table re-linking functions are taken directly from Alison Balters Mastering Access 2000 Development, so there shouldn't be a problem... If needs be I can post the code here...

The newsgroup microsoft.public.data.ado has told me I need to install DCOM98 on each machine prior to installing MDACS and my Front-End... Anyone think this will help? [sig]<p>ahdkaw<br><a href=mailto:ahdkaw@ots.zzn.com>ahdkaw@ots.zzn.com</a><br><a href= anythign can go wrong, it will'[/sig]

To alleviate the ADO reference problem, on any machine where any version of Office already exists, install the Runtime files to a completely separate Directory.

I find that the problem arises due to Office already having some of the Access files installed in the Office directory which conflict with the Runtime files.

I currently have an install whcih is Win95, Office97 (including Access) and Access 2000 (separate directory). I find that like this, I have no problems using Access 2000.

Onthe client machines, Win95 and Office 2000, installing Access 2000 runtime would not work either. We had various problems ironing out the errors and finally came to the conclusion that Access2000 runtime files should never be installed to the default directory if any version of Office or Access exists. [sig]<p>Phooey<br><a href=mailto:Andrew.j.harrison@capgemini.co.uk>Andrew.j.harrison@capgemini.co.uk</a><br>Otherwise known as Windy Bottom.[/sig]

I too get an error during setup :

c:\windows\temp\msftqws.pdw\$(DLLSelfregisterEx)' could not be registered because it was not found.

any suggestions for this error?

Phooey & Everyone Else,

I have tried everything you suggested and more, but to no avail. I reinstalled Office97 on the Windoze98 First Edition machines, then installed Access2K Runtime into a seperate folder, and finally installed my Access App.

I received the same error messages as before, and it will still not run, due to the same 'Runtime Error'

Argh! I HATE Microsoft! Why do they create such bab programs, and then not offer free support on problems that their software creates? Trust me, I've looked all over the Microsoft Knowledge Base site, and there is no mention of MSADO21.TLB anywhere.

Please help! I feel that I have just wasted 6 months of development time on this, and my boss wants to know why it is not available to ALL the users on the network (and &quot;I don't know&quot; just doesn't seem satisfy him). [sig]<p>ahdkaw<br><a href=mailto:ahdkaw@ots.zzn.com>ahdkaw@ots.zzn.com</a><br><a href= anythign can go wrong, it will'[/sig]

Did you ever manage to solve the problem? I'm getting the exact same error - the setup completes successfully, despite stupid Microsoft error messages, but when app is executed it causes a Runtime Error and dies. My user has NT4 and Office 97 (without Access). I've tried downloading MS service packs, but the files on their site appear to be corrupted.

Please help - I've spent 6 months writing this thing.

This problem arizes when ADO2.5 or 2.6 is already installed on the computer. In this case ADO2.1 can not be installed any more and the setup procedure is automatically cancelled by the PDW.
If you install your app without ADO2.1 it will work fine.
The solution of the problem is just to replace the crappy PDW with a more performant installer.

See also the runtime related articles in the ACCESS Online Encyclopedia at

What do you recommend to install runtimes with?
I am about to start rolling out an A2k runtime to a lot of users. A few of them will have A97 already installed & I could do with a nice, easy installation process!
Any tips would be appreciated.

B ----------------------------------
Ben O'Hara
bo104@westyorkshire.pnn.police.uk
----------------------------------

Make sure that you install the Access 2000 Runtime files to a separate directory to the current MS Office installation..

Example:
All Microsoft Office apps by default install to
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\

Therefore, your current MS Office installations will exist in the avbove directory.

In this case, try installing to
C:\Prog\Access2000\

DO NOT INSTALL ACCESS TO THE SAME DIRECTORY AS A PREVIOUS VERSION OF OFFICE as this will corrupt the existing files within Office97 and neither 97 nor 2000 will work.

I've never had a problem by following the above rule!

Hope this helps

Phooey
Andrew.j.harrison@capgemini.co.uk
Otherwise known as Windy Bottom.

Thanks Phooey,
I'll let youknow how I get on.

B ----------------------------------
Ben O'Hara
bo104@westyorkshire.pnn.police.uk
----------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.