Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

access2000 system freeze 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PPSAG

MIS
Oct 12, 2001
US
have 7 systems running a client side access database. The one with the printer freezes if we open access on it. If we put info into the database from the other 6 systems we're ok. What is happening to cause the system to freeze up?

You are really pushing the limits of af access with a system with 7 users. You might want to try a different tool like SQL Server.

Where is your database stored? Not on the machine with the printer I trust. Make sure it is on a server designed for sharing out files.

You may want to try splitting your database into a front-end back-end database as well. This will improve performance because each person will be opening there own forms and data-access components. You can also compile the front-end into a mde file which will improve performance further by compiling the VB code in your database.

You may want to re-install access on the machine having the problem as well.

The client side is stored on the system with the printer. We have a large server designed for many users where the server side of the database resides. SQL Server is not a financial option for us right now, but is in the plans for the future. We know we're pushing it with access, but it's better than the foxpro and paradox databases we still have. What purpose would re-installing Access serve?

Well it sounds like you have done everything right. Access might be toast on that machine (corupt dll or something). Can't hurt to reinstall.

Why doesn't each machine have it's own copy of the client side portion of the database??

well, each system does have it's own copy of the client side data. Maybe 7 users is just too many and I'll have to tell them that we have to bring it down to two or three systems. Thanks for you help. If you think of anything else, let me know.

I think the back end/front end connection will work well with you. We have a telephone number Access db here which everyone in the complex has access to (700+ people). We also have admin type access to the same tables which is limited to about 20 people. The front ends are the two different databases, one for a user, the other an administrator. The back end is one db where all the tables are linked to from the other two dbs. Thus, we are serving over 700 people at the same time.

700!!!!!!!!! Come on nmtexman!!! you need to fork out the bucks and get a real dmbs! But I guess if it works don't fix it. You obviously do not have more than 254 people log into it at once because Access does not support more that 254 simulataneos connections (at least that was what I thought)

The db contains telephone numbers for everyone in the complex. I don't know how many people log on at the same time, but it is read-only logon. Only the admin types (20 + me) can do writes. It works quite well for us now that we have gone to ADODB for connectivity.

Thanks for the help guys. Re-installing Access seems to have taken care of at least part of the problem. It isn't freezing on data entry anymore. I am glad to hear that my 7 users shouldn't be hanging the system up. Now if I could figure out the printing challenge, we'd all have a great weekend. PPSAG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back