Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access2000 runtime problem with XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

red41

MIS
Jan 22, 2002
US
I am trying to use an Access2000 runtime application on a computer with WinXP Professional installed. We are also using MS Access2002.

I can only open the Access .mdb (using Access2000 runtime) database when logged on to the computer as an administrator. When logged on as a user, I get the familiar message "can't find the database file".

This computer is on a network so, I do not want to give the user administrative rights but it seems like that may be the only way to get the database to run. I have added the users to the Poweruser group and even given users "full permission" to the C drive but none of these attempts have resolved my problem.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Have you verified the links using the Link Table Manager and verified the permissions to the links for the username that has the error?
----------------------
scking@arinc.com
Life is filled with lessons.
We are responsible for the
results of the quizzes.
-----------------------

Thanks for the response.

The problem appears to be with XP Professional and user permissions. The only resolution I could find was to set up a user ID on the PC and join it to the "Administrators" group.

It seems to work o.k. and as the Administrative user on the box only, I believe our domain/LAN remains safe. I did not give the Administrative user an account on our LAN so I believe their use is restricted to activities on that particular PC only.

I had a similar problem distributing an Access database. It used the registry to store information about the state. It was distributed to a LAN with the client on the PC and the file server on the network. When the owner logged on they had administrative privileges automatically and the database worked fine. When someone else logged on the did not have administrative privileges by default and could not write to the PC registry so the database had errors. It was resolve my the LAN administrator. I believe you are on the correct track but am not sure about the solution. What particular administrator permission is needed to allow the database to operate properly? Are parts of the database system on the LAN? ----------------------
scking@arinc.com
Life is filled with lessons.
We are responsible for the
results of the quizzes.
-----------------------

This particular database is not shared and is part of an employee ID card system that is licensed for only 1 PC.

I'm certain XP is keeping the user from writing or modifying files on the PC hard drive. Anyone who is signed on with Administrative priveleges on the PC, can run the program without any error messages. I have tried to give users write and modify permissions to the hard drive but even that doesn't solve the problem we have.

No the database cannot be converted to Access2002. According to the software developers, the database must remain in Access2000 and be run with Access2000 runtime.

I am not certain a conversion would resolve our XP permission problems, anyway.

Thanks for you interest. As I posted before, I was able to get the database working by creating a new userID with Administrative rights on the XP machine only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back