Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

access2000 - crashing on network

Status
Not open for further replies.

honeypot

Technical User
Mar 6, 2001
GB
we seem to be having a lot of problems with our new database, access 2000, on our network...we run win2k server (where database is held) and clients are win2k, winnt, winxp and win98...ive updated all service packs etc on these machines and use the relevant jet engine database, mdac, etc but dont know what is causing the database to crash so often (3 or 4 times a day)...any help would be very much appreciated...i suppose i would need to formulate an action plan of sorts?? any pointers please :)
thanx

Is your database split (back end with data tables, front end with forms, queries, etc.)? If not, it should be. I'd guess that splitting your database will solve the problem (or reduce crashes to an occasional instance).

Put the front end on the local computer, with the back end on a shared network drive.

Have you set up security? I'd do that, if you haven't already, to stop someone from inadvertantly damaging something.

Is your network stable - "Disk or Network error" sometimes means just that.

Look at your interface - do you have data entry or edit forms that stay open for long periods of time? I've seen crashes that happen when a partial record is entered, and left in limbo for a while.

Do you have a lot of data being entered or modified by a number of different users? If so, you may have a record locking issue. I've got one instance where I save the data to the local hard drive, then dump it to the network every few minutes.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head - I'm sure there are other possibilities.

I don't know if GDGarth agrees, but...
if it's really corruption you're dealing with, and you can't put a front-end on each desktop and the file must be available for use by multiple users, I suggest converting the frontend to an mde - this might work too (according some tips I once read elsewhere on this site & Woody's Lounge).
Hasse

An MDE's probably worth a try.

I'd still split it first, of course. Even if both front and back end are on the network, it should help.

See if the problem is happening when someone runs a certain report or query. I had a query one of the users put together once that was so screwed up and joins everywhere, it was a mess. Everytime she ran the query, the whole database would close. Then when we opened it again, all the data was corrupted and we had quite a mess on our hands. Queries, or reports that create internal queries can cause corruption, so finding out what everyone was doing when it crashed will help.

Thank you all very much for your suggestions...the front and back end are situated on the server, the front end only being accessed by users...i found a program on the net called total access admin..have any of u heard of it or tried it? i thought i might give the demo a go..

Total Access Tools (Analyser,...) seem to get often good critics. Though, I don't know the program you mention.

However: why spend this money & time to it when the problem might be solved by one of the suggestions done here? Did you try out any of the tips yet? Creating an mde takes less than 10' and is for the users identical to an mdb file - as you told the database crashes several times a day, you'll know if it has any effect quiet soon! Also checking eventual cumbersome sql's is +- a peace of cake using the documentor. Etc.

Anyhow, good luck!
[peace]
Hasse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back