Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

iisuser

ISP
Feb 1, 2003
DE
I just want to know how to use or publish access database on a web site. Thanks in advance

If you have a database completed, first thing you need to do is create an ODBC datasource that points to your database file. There are a couple of ways programmatically to access a database file. Active Server Pages, Java Server Pages, or even ColdFusion provides datbase connectivity via websites. Additionally, you can use the wizards built into Access 97 or 2000 to generate Active Server Pages, using that ODBC datasource. Access wizards are a little sloppy, and difficult to get used to at first. But once you get the hang of modifying them, they would suffice, and keep you from buying additional development tools. Hope that helps.

V

Thanks for the help. I tried doing what you said, but i get an error message saying You can not use ODBC to ipmort from, export to or link an extenral micosoft jet or ISAM database table to your database (error 3423)!
What i did is created odbc of Acces 97 type pointing to an access file. Then used the export from file menue to export a databae and select type ODBC files and then select that ODBC file and i get that error. What is up?

Thanks a lot for your guidance. :) The Smart Ant

First things first. To create an ODBC connection (on your server), you need to go into control panel. In NT 4/98/95, go into control panel and ODBC Data Sources. In 2000, go into control panel, administrative tool, data sources. Next, create a system or file DSN. Then point it to the database file, and security file if you use them on your database. Once the datasource is complete, you can then open access, and Save As HTML. It will then invoke a wizard which will allow you to select what piece(s) of your database you want to put on the web, in what form (static or active), and where you want to put it. Just let the wizard do the work for you. Hope that helps.

V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back