Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access XP with Access2K and Access97 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenReay

Programmer
Aug 15, 2002
GB
Hi

I have several Clients who I must support, now running various versions of Access (ie 97, 2000 and XP)

On my (Windows 2K Professional) PC I currently have Access97 and Access2000, co existing without a problem, now I need to put AccessXP on, anyone have any experience/tips on sharing all three versions on same PC?

I cannot just upgrade my Clients, the version they use is not under my control, they are customers, and the customer is always right.

Regards

Ken Reay

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Ken:

I have 3 versions of Access all living together on my Windows ME maching. I too need all versions as I have clients using verious versions.

I have Access 97, Access 2K and Access XP.

I had 97 and 2K running OK and just installed XP, but the trick is to do a custom install and if I remember it will at one point come up with a dialog box or something and it will ask a question, "have found previous versions of the following", and it will list the Office programs. It will then ask you if you want to keep them or delete them.

Select KEEP and the install will go on and you should have 3 happy Access programs all running on their merry way.

FYI. Access XP will open 2K files with no problems and you can change and modify them unlike previous versions of Access where you could onld read previous versions or convert them.

Best of luck,

Richard in Tulsa

I'm running all three versions of Access under Windows XP and they coexist just fine. Use the Custom Installation option of Office XP in order to keep your older versions.

One thing you'll have to do is check all your shortcuts that launch various Access applications to make sure the proper version of Access is being used.

Do you run access as an administrator ? Does it work fine as a standard user ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back