Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access XP - Error Message 3734 - Database blocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

stburkeuk

MIS
Mar 23, 2004
GB
Could really do with some assistance/Advice on this one.

I have a very simple database - Switchboard, two tables, one form linked to one table.

When a user has the switchboard open multiple users can access the database,

When the form is open - the database is locked by the passive Shutdown "feature" and the following error message is displayed when a user tries to enter the DB -

"The database has been placed in a state by user 'Admin' on machine 'machinename' that prevents it from being opened or locked."

I also encounter this when someone has one of the objects in design mode.

Anyone have anyideas what may be going on here?
Is there any settings I need to check to allow multiple users in the database.?

Simon

'I also encounter this when someone has one of the objects in design mode.'
From Access2000 this has been the way Access works. If anyone has any design feature open then no-one else can use the database.

I'm not sure what is going on in the first issue you raise, but in any case, for a multi-user system you must split the database into front-end UI and backend tables using the database splitter tool and linked tables manager, and put a copy of the front-end on each users pc.

Lupins,

thanks for your thoughts - that is certainly one options I could use but within our organisation we are discouraged/unable to distrubute applications to local PC's.

I also didn't want to create lots of copies on the shared server (due to storage capacity problems) if there is another option.

In addition to this having just migrated to XP from '97 we are now experiancing lots of slow performance issues with linked tables - I have a partial fix from MSDN but no 'cure'

If you keep to your deployment constraints it will mean that you will continue to get problems with multi-use, which might include database corruption.

Any later version of an MS application is slower than the previous one, if run on the same machine.(I imagine someone knows one which doesn't go slower and will post a contradiction).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back