Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access XP/2002 won't work with VSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterpruimboom

Programmer
Apr 28, 2002
NL
Hello all of you,

I've always worked with Access 2000 and the Office Developer Tools. There was no problem in working with VSS. Now I've installed Access XP (2002) and the developer tools but there is no VSS support to find in Access. I hope it's possible to use VSS with Access XP. Can anyone tell me how this can be done (if possible)?

Greetings, Peter.

Peter,

It must be true, I got a VSS CD with my developer. My problem is different. I could care less about VSS as a stand alone developer but...............

I have XP Developer that I installed. I did not opt for Visual SourceSafe (VSS) as I am a single programmer. Opening Access for an existing program, I cannot get into the code without a stupid message that "You must have Visual SourceSafe version 6.0 or later installed to run the VBA Source Code Add-In.".

Now I am just working in Access XP for the time being. I haven no idea why I am being harassed like this.

Are you using Developer? Is SourceSafe worth the time? Hell, I know how to backup my code and have 35GB to do it in. This is really bugging me.

The Microsoft documentation with the package, the Help and the Web stuff all do not include anything about VSS being required.

Any advice, links to sites (preferably not Microsoft) that might help will be most appreciated.

The only thing I can think is that this is the second PC I have installed this Developer on (a new one). I did not get hassled about loading on a second machine when I activated Developer but maybe this is their way. In the earlier install, somehow I avoided this problem. I generally keep good notes, which I reviewed so I think that the first time it just was not an issue.

First install was on a Win2k O/S and this time on a Win XP O/S.

Regards, Sorrells

Sorrells,

I don't use developer XP so I can't help you with the problems you have. I use VSS not for development because I'm a stand alone programmer to. I use it for maintaining the forms and modules I use in all my programs. I share them in VSS with all the projects so that any change allways is present in all projects. I have not used any other sources then the helpfile which was adequate for my purposes.

Regards, Peter.

I've found that you can include the VSS Toolbar but it's always disabled. I can't believe that it's not availble. Did you guys figure this one out. Is VSS really not available in Acess XP (2002)?

silveradoca,

I didn't mean to infer that this software was not available! In fact, I eventually loaded it to keep the MS Error messages away! Since then I have had to reformat that PC and am still testing it for stability before putting Developer on it again.

So no, I haven't gotten anything straightened out! I hope peterpruimboom can help more!

Regards, Sorrells

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back