Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access will not launch 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chpicker

Programmer
Apr 10, 2001
I am working on a client's laptop computer running Windows XP SP2. I just performed a clean installation of Windows from the HP restore discs. It only came with SP1; I updated it to SP2.

I then installed Office 2003. All of the applications work fine except for Access. Every time we try to launch it, the dialogs come up indicating that Windows is configuring Office 2003, it goes through a few progress meters...and then it goes away. Access does not come up. MSACCESS.EXE disappears from the processes list in the Task Manager.

The importance of Access is that it is the basis for a custom program that we provide to the client. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I have tried removing Office and installing just the Access 2003 Runtime. I get the same results every time.

Does anyone know what can cause this?

Ian

I'm not sure what causes this issue, but I also just recently had to figure out why my MS Access was not working. The congfiguration would run but no Access launched. I took these steps to fix my problem. Be careful in the registry...

fix 7 Jan 2007
Start > Run (type in regedit)

Go to the following directories:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Microsoft > Office > 10.0
delete Access folder

HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Office > 10.0
delete Access folder
also delete Access folder under Office Directory (one up)

Close registry

Go to:

Start > Search > All Files > msaccess.exe
delete MSACCESS.EXE %.pf (prefetch file)

Go to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10 (sort by name)
delete ACCESS.PIP
delete ACCWIZ.DLL
delete MSACC.OLB
delete MSACCESS.EXE

Start (delete any MS Access Shortcuts)

Start > All Programs (delete any MS Access Shortcuts)

Restart computer

XP Office Install CD
Choose to de-install MS Access (removes all other files not manually deleted)

Restart computer

Choose to install MS Access

When install is complete you should see a newly highlighted MS Access shortcut on Start > All Programs

Select MS Access (should open)

Good luck and BE VERY CAREFUL IN THE REGISTRY~!

Good job Chiponium,

(If it works)!!

ATB

Darrylle

Never argue with an idiot, he'll bring you down to his level - then beat you with experience.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Strangely enough, what fixed the problem was installing Office 2003 service pack 2.

I assume that the various security fixes for Windows XP over the years broke the original Office 2003 program. Office's service pack fixes the problem.

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back