Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

access webpage through external IP from internal net? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 29, 2002
US
I'm trying to access my web server from inside my network, using the external IP. I get a "Page Not Available" message from IE when trying. Access is fine if I use the internal IP or server name. Real external people have no problem accessing the site either. But for firewall port trouble shooting and page loading times, I'd like to actually loop out to the internet and back in, as if I was someone external to my network. My internal and external domain names are the same (I know), so to avoid DNS issues I just try to access the site by the internet routers external IP, which also works fine for external people. The router is a small Firewall/NAT/Router/DSL modem. I CAN ping the external IP. I've tried changing my workstations DNS server to my ISP assigned external server (I have my own internal DNS servers) to see if that works - nope! I tried turning off spoofing checking in the firewall, in case it thought I was a spoofer - ng. So, I'm out of ideas as to why this doesn't work. Can anyone help?
TurboDuster

Your small Firewall/NAT/Router/DSL modem does not support loopback. Many of the less expensive ones do not.

You'll need to use an external site like to check your site from the external interface.

Serbtastic,

Thanks for the info, that certainly explains it. Just off the top of your head, would you know if the typical DLS/Cable type Linksys or D-Link routers support/do not support loopback? If I found one that did, I would probably upgrade to it. Their sites made no mention of it either way.
I did try the free trial of Anonymizer and it wouldn't work. My page does have Javascript on it and I think that they block pages like that. Oh well. Thanks again for the tip!
TD

hi,
i am new to site publishing.i made a site and was able to publish and view in local loop back(127.0.0.1).But now i have a broad band connection with ststic international ip but for some reason when i start iis thre in no object or computer connected.
when ever i try to connect to my computer it does not i just recive an error message "server excecute failed".
i do not have an DNS.i just want to acces the web site published from any where on net by just typing my static IP.

please help!!!!!

amitstu,

First you should really have started a new thread with this post, but I'll try to answer it here. In order for your web page to be accessable from the internet you need to do at least two things. 1. you need an external DNS server that has your static IP address listed so that others may find you. Your broad band provider can probably supply you with this, but if not you could try a DNS service such as For one address there is usually no cost.
2. You need to have some kind of route or forwarding to your web server. I'm assuming that your router out to the internet has the static IP, so you need to use port forwarding on the router to point incoming connections on port 80 (HTTP - the port that web pages use) to your web servers IP address. If you are not using a router and your web server is connected directly to the internet, you won't need to use port forwarding. In either case I strongly suggest you use some kind of firewall if you don't already have one. Also you should consider registering a domain name to go with your website. Lastly, make sure that your broadband provider isn't blocking port 80 to stop people from running web sites. Unfortunately, some of them do that.

Good luck!

TD

At my ISP I've put a redirect page pointing to my site. When I visit that page from an internal computer the external IP adress from that redirect page is logged at my site.
I can still use my internal DNS server but because the domain names are the same I had to add a passthrough record at my DNS.

Hi, was told this is a problem with NAT on the firewall.
Solve this by going into IE properties, under connections tabs, click on LAN settings, input the proxy server of your isp, with port 8080 (mine was "cache.ifb.co.uk"). DON'T choose to bypass the proxy for local addresses since that's the problem anyway.
Had to do this when testing OWA to exchange 5.5 - needed to access it from 'outside' the firewall like a remote user would. Couldn't do it internally otherwise.

Good luck,

Jon.

If you can't beat them, hire someone who can, who wears gloves...

To answer the question about which gateway does this. The dlink DI-704 does this. I can go to nat.mydomain.com (which is the address to my terminal server that has a 10.0.0.189 addresS) from 10.0.0.56. When I ping it it returns the public IP. I dont think they make the 704 anymore but the newer ones should work as well.

Scott Heath
AIM: orange7288

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back